viernes, 23 de marzo de 2012

Mentoring & Sailing @ Shake a leg

I really enjoyed this day!!! I went for the first time to "Shake a leg" @ Coconut Grove, Miami. I did not know that they were working with people with physical, developmental and economic challenges.
It was the mid year FIU Mentoring Program Event. The plan was to sail in a regatta. Seven boats were competing, and most important we were having so much fun. Mentoring students gives me a special reward: JOY!!! Today I had the chance not only to enjoy the sailing but to mentor two students: one from Surinam and the other from China, both students were examples of motivation and outdoing themselves to find opportunities for their careers.
I also had the opportunity to learn a great lesson from the founder of this place, who is cuadraplegic: The power of overcoming a phisical disability to make a difference to our community.
After listening to this hero, I realized, once again, that we all have the chance to make a difference just choosing not to be victims, but to be responsible using our talents, taking our problems not so seriously and extending our territory to serve others. For more information about FIU Mentoring Program, pls visit
http://business.fiu.edu/mentor/